Supporting Healthy Relationships with Newcomer Youth
The Supporting Healthy Relationship with Newcomer Youth Project is developing workshops and we need input from newcomer youth between the ages of 18-24. Youth Conversations is your opportunity to share ideas for future workshops.
We want to learn about:
- Your experiences and knowledge of healthy relationships
- What you feel supports healthy relationships (e.g. open communication, supportive families, access to health services, positive education)
- What you feel the barriers are to healthy relationships (e.g. inaccessible service providers, sexual violence, hypersexualization of women, gender norms)?
- How you think the supports can be increased and the barriers addressed
- Anything else you want to know about healthy relationships
Saturdays, September 16 – 30, Classroom 18:
- Girls Only Conversation – Saturday, September 16, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- Boys Only Conversation – Saturday, September 23, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
- All Youth Conversation – Saturday, September 30, 1:00 – 4:00 pm
Cost: Free! Bus tickets and refreshments will be provided. Please register by Thursday, September 14.
To register or receive more information, contact Stephanie MacKinnon at email@example.com or 902-406-8647.
About The Project
The Supporting Healthy Relationships with Newcomer Youth Project is funded by the Nova Scotia Department of Community Services, as part of an innovation grant to focus on education and violence prevention. Work is already being done on this subject with many youth around the province. Our goal is to build on this work by better understanding and supporting the needs of newcomer youth.
In order to do this, we will:
- Work directly with newcomer youth and local service providers. Through conversations with youth we will better understand their experiences and knowledge of healthy relationships, as well as the factors that contribute to support and the barriers that prevent them.
- Deliver participatory workshops for youth, based on the needs they identify.
- Conduct direct consultation with service providers to confirm what services already exist to support youth, as well as some of the barriers in their delivery.
- Provide recommendations from youth to ensure that service providers are reflecting the needs of newcomers.
For information or to get involved please contact:
Stephanie MacKinnon | 902-406-8647 | firstname.lastname@example.org