- This event has passed.
Online Recruitment and Information Session: Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency
February 11 @ 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Join us for this online presentation by Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE), taking place over Zoom! Learn about the requirements you need to be a successful applicant and become a firefighter. A question and answer period will follow the presentation.
HRFE is now accepting applications for a candidate pool for permanent, full-time, career firefighters. The deadline to apply is February 21, 2021, at 11:59 pm.
About Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE):
A career as a firefighter is both challenging and rewarding, offering the opportunity to serve the community while working as a member of a highly skilled, professional team. HRFE is dedicated to enhancing and preserving quality of life, property, and environment through leadership, partnership, and effective response to emergencies.
Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) is committed to being the best Fire & Emergency service and reflective of the diverse communities we serve. The recruitment and selection process includes; aptitude testing, physical abilities testing, background screening and a panel interview. The skills, abilities and competencies measured through each of these phases are in alignment with the requirements for the position of firefighter. Candidates must demonstrate competence and proficiency at each stage in order to advance.
The Halifax Regional Municipality strives to create a diverse and inclusive work environment. Its goal of a strong and diverse workforce that accurately represents the communities it serves will capitalize on the strength and talent of those communities. As such, we encourage applications from African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the LGBTQ+ community. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
- Applicants must have a grade 12 education or equivalent – a copy must be included in your application. (A High School transcript can only be accepted if it clearly states a graduation date or certifies by stamp or signature that you are a graduate.)
- Applicants must have a Nova Scotia Class 5 Driver’s License (or equivalent from another province) with a safe and responsible driving record.
- Candidates must complete security/background screening, which includes a review of a criminal record check, a vulnerable sector check, a child abuse registry check, and a driver’s abstract. It also includes an integrity interview.*
- Successful candidates must be able to communicate effectively in English. These skills will be assessed as you move through the competition. Further assessment of language proficiency may be required.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada
*Applicants are not required to submit any of the background checks, including the driver’s abstract or criminal record check, with your application. Both will be verified later in the selection process.
For more information about the application or recruitment process, please visit: www.halifax.ca/firerecruitment
To register for this information session:
- ISANS Clients – Contact your employment specialist and ask them to register you
- YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth Clients – Contact Employment Services to register
- All other Participants – Complete a registration form by clicking here. A Zoom meeting link will be sent to all registered participants 24 hours before the event.